Sunday, September 30, 2012

Jiro Dreams of Sushi: A review


Now I know this is outside of my normal rants and raves in the aspect of the weird and bizarre, the unexplainable and the down right odd, but I had to write something on this documentary I just watched called Jiro dreams of Sushi. Yeah I said that correctly…Jiro Dreams of Sushi, and the title couldn’t be any more accurate other than calling it Jiro the ultimate master of technique and detail to sushi.
Jiro is an elderly man whose life is dedicated to sushi and the ultimate perfect craft/creation when it comes to sushi. His sushi is not overly complex and full of spice, heat or cream cheese like in a Philadelphia sushi roll, but rather simple and clean and flavorful pieces of seafood and meat and egg.

He is considered the best sushi master in the world and an apprentice, before Jiro feels he is trained, is trained for at least 10 years before even attempting to make any type of sushi, now that’s dedication you don’t find anymore. In fact his sushi is so desirable that it’s at least a 2 month waiting list and people have reservations as far as 5 years out, not to mention the experience for his sushi begins at $300 dollars and it goes well higher than that for the full experience.
What makes his sushi the best in the world, well other than what I had mentioned earlier it is his eye for detail. He serves females small pieces than males so they can all finish together to enjoy the experience as well as noticing who is left and right handed so they can more easily pick the pieces up. He is a 70 year old man who just won’t stop and truly loves what he does. He has no desire to stop and his two sons follow in his footsteps.

Now I usually watch documentaries about the strange and odd, but I highly suggest you watch this one as you will be amazed and inspired by this gentleman’s story and life. Reminds me a bit of my grandfather in that way…I respect him very much for his drive and ambition and everything he has taught me over the years, both my grandfathers for that matter.

Again, check this documentary out, it really is that inspirational.
Be safe and enjoy the sushi and go for your dreams,

Jon Bolton


No comments:

Post a Comment